Physical Therapist Assistant or Pt Please Help Me.?

Question by Paul S: Physical Therapist Assistant or Pt Please help me.?
I got my certificate as a Pt aide and now i want to study further but i don’t know that i go for PTA programme for 2 years to get licence or go for straight PT. i live in san jose ca and i can’t find any school here who provide pt education.

Best answer:

Answer by realove336
Go for the PT. It is only one more year of school if you have your Bachelor’s and there is more freedom to practice. As a PTA, you would always work for a PT, treat along the PT’s plan of care, and there are limitations in what you would be allowed to do (evaluations, assessments, plans, treatments). It is also very difficult to bridge from PTA to PT – you have to go through PT school completely even if you are a PTA. So I would recommend working as an aide while going for the PT degree.

California PT Schools:
Azusa Pacific University
California State University, Fresno
California State University, Long Beach
California State University, Northridge
California State University, Sacramento
Chapman University
Loma Linda University
Mount St Mary’s College
Samuel Merritt College
University of California, San Francisco/San Francisco State University
University of Southern California
University of the Pacific
Western University of Health Sciences

California PTA Schools:
Cerritos College
Loma Linda University
Ohlone College
Sacramento City College
San Diego Mesa College
Sonoma College

Education Programs Bridging from PTA to PT

Loma Linda University (D6, E4, E5, F1, PR)
Department of Physical Therapy
School of Allied Health Professions
Loma Linda University
Loma Linda, CA 92350
Phone: 909/558-4632
Fax: 909/558-4291
Web site:
E-mail: [email protected]

The University of Findlay (A3, A6, D5, F3, PR)
Physical Therapy Program
The University of Findlay
1000 North Main Street
Findlay, OH 45840
Phone: 419/434-4863
Fax: 419/434-6977
Web site:
E-mail: [email protected]

Answer by mistify
Realove is right…if you have any inclination of becoming a full PT…it’s best to start there…there is no good way to transition from PTA to PT other than one or two programs in the US (Ohio, I think). As a PTA, you severly limit your career opportunities and earning potential. The fact that you already have exposure to the setting as an aide gives you an advantage over other applicants, plus you have a way to earn money while going to school (or to build up a college fund)…the hardest financial burden will be that PT school from start to finish is about 7 years (unless you already have some college credits completed) versus 2 years in the PTA program. Yet the average earning for a PT is about 2 times that of a PTA according to a 2005 survery in Advance PT magazine. So, you’d make back that lost income quickly.

UN Human Rights Committee finds US in violation on 25 counts
It welcomed the closing of the CIA black sites, but criticized the “meager number of criminal charges brought against low-level operatives” for abuses carried out under the CIA's rendition, interrogation and detention program. The committee also found …
Read more on San Francisco Bay View

Modesto hires utilities manager as part of Public Works reform
Lodi Public Works Director Wally Sandelin said Parlin has strong technical skills and oversaw the completion of a $ 30 million water treatment plant and a $ 5 million upgrade to the wastewater treatment plant, as well as a reorganization of the utilities …
Read more on Modesto Bee

Nationals 0 for 16 with RISP in 4-3 loss to Padres
Accumulating 16 hits Thursday night but unable to put enough together, the Nationals lost to the San Diego Padres 4-3 in 12 innings on Xavier Nady's go-ahead RBI single off Craig Stammen. "Opportunities are there," … After pinch hitter Tyler Moore …
Read more on KTVU San Francisco

Find More Treatment Programs San Jose Information…