What Is Wrong With Me? Am I Depressed?

Question by Eric: What is wrong with me? Am I depressed?
I have been experiencing a drastic change of sleeping pattern, lack of hunger and appetite, and constant dwelling… I feel like I may be depressed because,not only have I been suffering from these things, but I now sleep in the day and I am awake and sleepless all night long… Not by choice! I just can’t sleep…. I am constantly dwelling on things, because I have so many things to worry about, and not enough time! So many things to prepare for, and not enough time! I am literally stressing about how I should squeeze these blocks together and make them fit! I’d rather skip meals, and skip sleep, and skip life, to try to figure these things out! Do I need a therapist?

Best answer:

Answer by drdr
The range of “normal” behavior is large. Behavior only becomes abnormal (or a mental disorder) when a subconscious motivator for behavior (not a chosen course of action) seriously disrupts one’s life through distress and impaired functioning. If the distress you feel is adversely affecting your life, you could be helped through psychological counseling. Some forms of psychological counseling rely on behavior changes rather than exploring the reasons for the behavior; as with phobias, where sometimes treatment consists of gradual desensitization. Most people can identify their own problems, although they lack the ability to follow-through with changing themselves.

A therapist cannot provide a cure, but they can guide one to understand their subconscious thoughts that may be controlling their behavior, or provide alternate behaviors to reprogram your brain (cognitive behavioral therapy), and a psychiatrist may provide drugs to combat a possible chemical imbalance.

Depression self-help
For teens:

Depression self-help

WebMD depression health check:

National Mental Health Consumer Self-Help Clearinghouse
(800) 553-4539

Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration
Weekdays 8:30 a.m. to 12:00 a.m. EST.
(800) 789-2647

National Mental Health Association Hotline
800-969-NMHA (6642)

National Child Abuse Hotline: 800-4-A-CHILD

National Clearinghouse on Child Abuse and Neglect Information

Child Welfare Information Gateway
Children’s Bureau/ACYF
Eighth Floor
1250 Maryland Avenue, Southwest
Washington, DC 20024-2141
Toll-free: 1-800-394-3366
Telephone: 703-385-7565
Fax: 703-385-3206
Internet: http://www.childwelfare.gov
Provides toll-free and local telephone numbers for reporting child abuse and
neglect in each state. In most cases the toll-free numbers listed are only
accessible from within the state. Also listed are links to state web sites,
which may provide additional information.

Find More Drug Treatment Programs Washington Dc Information…